Filing a complaint with The Joint Commission

 Do you have a complaint about a health care organization?


The Joint Commission (TJC), formerly the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) and previous to that the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals (JCAH), is a United States-based nonprofit tax-exempt 501(c) organization[2] that accredits more than 20,000 health care organizations and programs in the United States.

This information was taken from the website:

What can you do about complaints that The Joint Commission cannot help with?

• You may want to talk to the organization about your concern.

• Your state’s department of health may be able to help.

• What information do you need to include in the complaint?

• The name and address of the organization.

• Tell us about your concern in one or two pages.

• Give us your name, address or e-mail address if you would like follow-up information sent to you.

How do you file a complaint?

You must have your complaint reference number.

Online:  Submit at


Fax: 630-792-5636

Mail: Office of Quality Monitoring

The Joint Commission

One Renaissance Boulevard

Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181

What happens to your complaint?

• We check for other complaints about the organization.

• We may write to the organization about your concern.

• Sometimes, we visit the organization to see if there is a problem in meeting the standards that deal with your concern.

• We will not share your name with the organization unless you say it is OK.

Can The Joint Commission tell you what happens with the complaint?

We can give you some information. We can tell you if we:

• Have other complaints about the organization

• Wrote to the organization about your concern

• Visited the organization

• Asked them to make improvements

• Changed our decision to accredit the organization

• We can give you a list of the standards that deal with your concern. For example, concerns about dirty equipment are covered in the “Infection Prevention and Control” standards.

For more information call 1-800-994-6610.